Flying to Hooper Bay

Friday, October 5, 2018

I never intended for it to be so long in between posts!  An educators know that the beginning of school is a hectic time. Combine that with being in a new state, new house, new school, and new grade--it's been one heck of an almost 2 months in my new home :)

I flew from Monroe to Anchorage on August 9. Let me tell you that 16 travel hours with a cat in tow makes for an extremely stressful experience. I figured since her happy meds were about done for with only 4 more hours that I'd give a half dose. I will never make that mistake again! I spent Friday with my new friend Courtney doing some quick shopping and getting my new phone. I've taken over her spot at school now that she's moved to Anchorage, and she was so patient answering all my questions!

Friday night my roommate Darla arrived with her dog Lincoln. We flew out early the next morning. My home airport is a small, regional one so the planes aren't nearly as big. I thought that would adequately prepare me for the small planes I was in for. I was wrong. The flight from Anchorage to Bethel wasn't so bad since the plane was just slightly smaller than I'm used to. It was very weird going outside and stepping into the plane.

Bethel turned into an experience! Our flight was delayed due to a low weather ceiling. They suddenly wanted to charge us extra for our pet carriers as well as consider our carryon backpacks luggage. That put us over the luggage weight limit, so we also had to pay for that privilege! After finally getting the okay to fly, we walked out to the smallest plane, that everyone else was excited about because it was the bigger option! I couldn't see anything below because of the cloud cover, and the pilots had no problem looking at their phones during the flight. When an alarm went off, I about came out of my seat before being told it was the signal we were about to land.

The principal and counselor picked us up in the school truck and took us to our apartment. They were so helpful. The maintenance guys had moved almost all our boxes/totes from the school to our place so we could start getting settled in right away. Those first few days were an series of overwhelming piles of totes and boxes as well as moving classrooms across the school.

I'm working on getting better with the blog updates. My immediate goal is to catch up on almost 2 months of life here, then keep it up to date :)

No comments:

Post a Comment