Year 1 Recap

Monday, July 29, 2019

I didn't keep up with this blog nearly as much as I thought I would during my first year in Bush Alaska. I figured teaching for 6 years already would make things an easier adjustment, but in many ways I felt like it was my first year all over again.

I experienced many highs and a good number of lows last year. I second-guessed myself less than 5 hours after landing in my new village. I struggled adjusting to my travel plans being under constant attack by Mother Nature. I learned to expect punching through the snow before it had time to pack down (or again as it melted) while walking around. I dealt with water issues, power outages, and completely losing cell phone network coverage (including internet) for days at a time. I missed my best friend's wedding almost immediately after school started as well as being there when my dad had both knees replaced.

I also made new friends who are basically family at this point. I learned how to function as a teacher without an interactive board. I built relationships with students more than I ever did as a Lower 48 teacher (and I worked at it back then!). I stood in the Bering Sea, picked tundra berries, ate foods I'd never imagined, harvested moose meat to eat, and wondered at Alaskan Native cultural events. I grew as a teacher, hopeful school leader, and as a person. I've been on more planes in the last year than the rest of my life combined! I've found a network of like-minded Alaskan teachers who support and inspire each other constantly.

Many things are changing this year: new school administration, new grade level, new teachers. While I'm sad knowing I have to once again say goodbye to my family in just over a week, I'm excited to see my Alaskan family and hug my kids--the students I taught last year, the ones I got to know through my many classroom visits, and those I get to teach this year. I'm excited to see what new things await me this year.

Enjoy a ton of pictures of my many adventures last year.

A student made me akutaq (a-goo-duck) which is whipped Crisco with tundra berries!

This is what your storage freezer looks like when you have to order a year's worth of meat at once.

A view of Hooper Bay. I get to see this out my bedroom window.

Flying in Alaska is mesmerizing. This is of mountains on the way to Anchorage.

I saw the Northern Lights!!!!!

Thanksgiving with my Alaskan family :)

Sometimes you don't know who you are saying hello to on your morning walk to school since this is what you wear.

This is the EVERY. DAY. low price! My soda (pop in the village) addiction is gone.

Doesn't everyone have snowball fights during the monthly fire drill??

In peak winter, the playground is almost completely buried in snow drifts. A preschool student would stand taller than those monkey bar rings!

That faint darker color to the left? My apartment complex. It's about a football field away (like, walking a line--not from end zone to end zone).

Sunrise is one of my favorite times of day now. I just had to wait until 9AM or later sometimes to see it :)

We went to play at the beach (Bering Sea) on a beautifully sunny spring day.

Our school hosted Native Youth Olympics. This is the boys' Seal Hop. They go across the court hopping on their knuckles!

I took this photo walking home from prom. It's at least 10PM.

I ate Beluga Whale.

This is my favorite creamer, on sale! I would pay $3ish in the Lower 48. **I did NOT buy this sale item!

Seal meat before I took a bite.

There are no roads, so no buses to get to sports games. This is nearby Scammon Bay getting ready to head the hour+ back home after a basketball game.

This is when you really start to notice how cold it is!

I hope to blog more regularly in the coming year. Here's to exciting new adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment